Sunday, March 11, 2012

Winter Gardening

Winter is the hardest part of the year for me.  I think I go into withdrawal when I'm not able to be out in my garden.  I love the garden in the early morning when the sun sparkles off the heavy dew.  I love to walk through the garden in the morning and check everything, to see who grew since the day before.  While doing my early morning walk I will decide what we're going to pick that day for market.  I am happy to putter in my greenhouse for hours on end with dirt under my fingernails.  I just can't wait for the snow to be gone, so like many other incurables, I start seeds early in the house.  I have a sun room on the the south side where the babies spend their days, then they come into the house at night.  We won't move to the greenhouse until it warms up at night.  It's not cost effective yet to run the heaters.  It's like Christmas morning when the boxes come from Stokes and Vesseys full of the promise of new growth.

Baby basil enjoying the hot March afternoon sun

Rosemary cuttings from some mother plants that I overwintered.

No comments:

Post a Comment